This dog cookie recipe for apple flavored dog treats is a great kids’ activity or you can have fun making them yourself. With your dogs help, of course!
Most dogs love apples and applesauce, and I’ve found that they love these yummy apple dog treats, as well.
The dog cookie recipe uses common ingredients from your pantry. And you can easily make these homemade dog treats in an afternoon!
Shape Your Homemade Dog Treats
I used apple cookie cutters because the dog treats are flavored with applesauce. However, you can make your dog cookies into any shape that you’d like.
Use your imagination and have fun together, making healthy dog treats for your best friend!
Apple Dog Cookie Recipe Ingredients
- 3 unbleached white flour (or half whole wheat flour)
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- l teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup water, + 2 tablespoons water
Directions for Apple Dog Treat Recipe
- Mix all the liquids in a small bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients, alternating dry and liquid ingredients.
- The dough will be like cookie dough when it is well mixed.
- When the dough is done, remove it and divide it into 3 equal parts.
- Roll the dough to 1/4” thickness.
- Use smaller cookie cutters to cut the dog cookies. Choose a cute shape, or just use what you have. In a pinch, a bottle cap or jar lid or even a smaller (whiskey) glass will work.
- Cut the shapes and place the homemade dog cookies on a lightly greased baking sheet. Dip the “cookie cutter” in flour in between cookies so that it doesn’t stick. Also if the dough is too sticky, you can add a little more flour until it works well for you.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for about an hour—check to make sure that the dog treats don’t get too brown.
- Turn off the oven and leave the dog cookies in the oven overnight to finish drying. They will be hard and crisp when they are done.
That’s all there is to it! Making a dog cookie recipe or biscuit recipe is lots of fun and it is really easy! Why not try baking dog treats at home now?
You will find that it becomes a nice, relaxing activity that you can enjoy with your children (or your dog), no matter what else is going on in your life.
And, if you really get hooked, go check out my other website, Best Dog Treat Recipes for dozens of other dog cookie recipes to try.
More on Dog Food and Diets