What causes Bichon Frise tear stains?
There are a number of reasons for dog tear stains, but most can be prevented or removed when you groom your dog.
And you’ll also find a recommendation for dog tear stain removal and natural remedies that really do work.
Tear stains tend to build up over time, and the stained coat gets a nasty appearance.
But the good news is that you can help your dog get rid of this unsightly condition.
What are Dog Tear Stains?
Tear stains are reddish or brownish marks or stains that are found on the inside corner of a dog’s eyes or just below his eyes.
Dog tear stains occur most often on dogs with white or light fur, which makes the stains more visible.
Dog tear stains are common in this little white breed, the Bichon Frise, as well as in miniature and toy poodles, Maltese, German shepherds, and chihuahuas.
While tear stains in dogs can look pretty nasty, they usually don’t pose a serious health risk.
But, because of their appearance, most people will want to find a way to remove the dog tear stains. And, if you have show dogs, it becomes even more important.
What causes Dog Tear Stains?
Bichon Frise tear stains are caused by excessive tearing. The tears form a warm, damp area that reacts with bacteria, yeast, or fungi. Often Red Yeast is the cause of staining. The result of the infection is the characteristic red-brown color seen under your pet’s eyes.
What causes the excessive tearing in a Bichon Frise? The overflow of tears can be caused by irritations, allergies, or genetic structure of the dog’s head around the eyes.
Your Bichon may have dog tear stains because of:
- Genetic predisposition – He may have been born with abnormalities in his tear ducts. If they are blocked, your dog’s vet may have to irrigate the ducts.If the tear ducts are completely clogged, his vet may have to open them surgically. This is just one reason why researching Bichon Frise breeders is so important.
- Ear infections – Ear infections can cause more tearing and mucous in your dog’s system.
- Dog Allergies – Dog allergies cause tearing of the eyes, just like they do in humans.
- Cutting teeth
- Unhealthy diet – instead of a healthy Bichon Frise diet
- Water with lots of minerals – iron in water can combine with the protein in tears (lactoferrin) and bind together to cause tear stains.
- Irritation from fleas
As you can see, there are a number of reasons that your dog might end up with Bichon Frise tear stains.
Making sure she gets a healthy diet, good water, and taking a few steps for dog tear stains prevention will go a long way toward helping your dog to have healthy stain-free eyes.
How to Prevent Dog Tear Stains
Did you know that you can prevent or minimize dog tear stains in your Bichon Frise dog.
Here are some easy tips on how to prevent tear stains and for tear stain removal.
With a few simple steps, your dog can have clean, healthy eyes again!
Whether you have a Bichon Frise, a Maltese, a miniature or toy poodle, or a German shepherd, your favorite pet can develop unsightly tear stains around his eyes.
for dog eye problems and conjunctivitis.
- Feed your Bichon a premium, healthy holistic dog food.
- Give her bottled water if your tap water is full of minerals.
- After bathing a Bichon Frise, dry her ears thoroughly. While this may seem unrelated to your Bichon’s eyes, ear infections can cause eye tearing and can lead to the stains beneath your dog’s eyes.
- Pluck hairs from your Bichon’s ear canals – this can help prevent dog ear infections, which can cause tearing of the eyes.
- Eliminate conditions in your home that may cause dog allergies.
- Purchase your puppies from responsible Bichon Frise dog breeders who will breed puppies based on positive breed characteristics. This can eliminate puppies with a genetic disposition for eye tearing and tear stains.
- Serve your Bichon Frise her food and water in stainless steel bowls. Certain plastic bowls can attract bacteria which can cause facial discoloring and/or tear stains.
- Give your Bichon a teaspoon of plain 100% natural lo-fat yogurt 3 times a week. The live active cultures found in yogurt will help boost her immune system.
- Add a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar to your Bichon Frise’s drinking water. This will change the PH balance of the water and discourage yeast and bacteria formation. Yeast and bacteria can cause infections and Bichon Frise tear stains.
Angel Eyes Tear Stain Remover
Angel Eyes is a dog tear stain remover that has been used very successfully by a large number of pet owners. It is a natural remedy and is one of the easiest ways to eliminate tear stains in dogs.
Completely safe, Angels’ Eyes Tear-Stain Eliminator is sprinkled on your pet’s food. It comes in a number of interesting flavors, and it can be given to dogs that are older than 8 weeks.
You might also like: